Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pumpkin Day

My 4th grade class meets once a week with the K4 class to be a reading buddy to the little ones. For my students, it is the highlight of their week! They love seeing their little buddies on the playground, in class, and all over school. 

This past Friday, the K4 class was celebrating Pumpkin Day and my class traveled to the stations with them and enjoyed helping with lots of activities! 

My group was in charge of making pumpkin pudding and then eating it on Maria Cookies. 
We talked about each ingredient (because I quickly learned with the first group that I needed to stretch out the time!). Then we started mixing it all together. 
Then came the favorite part - squishing it all up in baggies! Some were a little over-enthusiastic and then we experienced squirting pumpkin pudding! 

 With each group, I asked them if they knew what the box containing pudding was. One of my students, looked at the box and said, "artificial flavoring". I died laughing and then he said, "look, it says it right there on the box." So I took a picture. 
 During the first group, I didn't stretch out the time enough. So I was wracking my brain trying to think of something to keep 4 K4 students occupied with their big buddies. So I made up a song with motions. 

So, if you would like to learn my song, it goes like this, 
(Sung to the tune of "I'm a Little Teapot") 
I'm a little pumpkin, short and round
Here are my sides and here is my stem (hands on top of head, when you get to stem, point your hands up)
When I get all grown up, then I'll shout
Split me open and scoop me out (on split, pull your arms away from your head and bring down slowly like you are opening) 

I'm thinking about publishing it! :) Just kidding. 

That was the fun adventure of Pumpkin Day 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment