Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Easter 2012

Easter always evokes sweet memories of celebrating the resurrection of Christ.

I remember as a child going to sunrise service, being cold on those mornings, singing as the mist rises off of the grass, smelling in the cool, fresh morning air, singing the classic hymns of Easter (oh how I miss those), family dinners (the farm word for lunch), new dresses and white shoes, and hunting Easter eggs. I remember the soft Easter baskets mom made for us when we were little that were pulled out year after year with the fake green grass and a few eggs for decoration in them.
We were not an egg-dying family, probably because it was messy and mom knew we would NOT eat the eggs! :)

I remember at least one Easter having sunrise service in Dallas on flagpole hill. (Isn't that what it is called on Northwest Hwy and Buckner???? I'm losing my memory!)

I've always loved the Easter hymns, sung with gusto, and how so many of those songs are such a celebration of the resurrection in their composition!

"Up from the grave He arose, with a mighty triumph o'er His foes. He arose a victor from the dark domain and He lives forever with His saints to reign. He a-rose, He a-rose. Hallelujah, Christ arose"

"Christ the Lord is risen today, Ha-------------lelujah!
Sons of men and angels sang, Ha-----------lelujah!
Raise your joys and triumphs high, Ha-------lelujah!
Sing, ye heavens and earth reply, Ha---------lelujah!"

There are many others I could mention, but these are some of my favorites!

I remember Easter dinner with tables filled with aunts and uncles, cousins, grandparents, all squeezed in together at Grandma and Grandpa's house. I remember the huge Easter egg hunt outside with the big cousins hiding the eggs and the highly sought after silver egg with money inside.

I could spend this whole post on Easter memories, although it would help to have a childhood photo album. Maybe that will be a summer project to digitize our family pictures from way back when.

This Easter, I was feeling sad on Saturday about not being with family and doing something special. So we (the roommates) planned an Easter dinner with Rebecca and Cheryl.

It turned out to be a sweet time of celebrating together, cooking, eating delicious food, relaxing, and enjoying time with Jesus' family.

We came home after church and began our time together.
It ended up being a sweet time!

 Jess and I sported some awesome aprons!!!! It was fun!
 Cheryl licking the cool whip covered spatula! Yummo!!!
 Jess totally created this beauty in her head the night before on the way to the store.
Chocolate cake with a nutella spread holding the two layers together, covered in cool whip and strawberries with chocolate syrup drizzled on top.
 Our lovely spread - it was yummy! Yeah, team!
 Ready to eat!
Friends.


It was a sweet day of celebrating with friends!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Easter Abby! I always loved Easter services too. The songs are my favorite! I remember the Easter we had our service in the tent before the new sanctuary was built. that was my favorite year. I think you pledged to give money to either the sanctuary or the future youth building. I can't remember which one. :) Lots of good memories. Ps-You are right about Flag Pole Hill. You just need to visit Dallas more and revisit the landscape. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten about the one in the tent!!! Old age is setting in quickly! :) That was a great one too! Definitely lots of good memories! I do miss Dallas. We'll all be there this summer to see Luke get married!

      Delete