Friday, May 31, 2013

An Unexpected Friend

I want you to meet someone.

This is Cristela. A sweet lady from school put us in touch with each other almost two years ago. Cristela and her family were new to the school, and she was looking for someone to tutor her kiddos. So I started working for them.


It has been so much more than I would ever have expected.

The "job" has been an incredible blessing, but I have been able to "be" a part of this family in so many ways.

The tutoring has been more than just school work, learning English, practicing math, but has also been about teaching kiddos to speak when someone talks to them, basic manners, learning to break out of a shy shell, working hard, talking about Jesus, sitting on the sofa and reading books, and opening up.

In the beginning, I would hear from Cristela mostly concerning school concerns, worry about her son's progress, etc. But after several months, things began to change. She started asking questions. She was seeking. Really questioning things about the Lord.

Last fall, Cristela came in and shared her story with me. There is a lot and it's not all my place to share it. Last fall, she wrote to me asking about baptism. Cristela made her love for Jesus public in November.

When I finally told Cristela I was moving, it was so difficult. Two weeks ago at our farewell Bible study dinner, she hugged and hugged me and cried with me. I love her babies. I love her. I love the sweet ladies who work in her home.

Cristela is one of the most giving people I have ever met. Her heart oozes generosity and care for others.

She is part of my Panamanian family. She is a sister. She is a friend. She has shared her babies with me for several hours a week the past two years. I love them and I love her.


It was a relationship only the Lord could have orchestrated. I am amazed. Thankful. Sad to leave. He is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment