Friday, July 19, 2013

Friday's Friends - MJ/Ms. Jules/Marilyn Sue

Where do I begin?

Ms. Jules was one of the very first people I met at the school when I first arrived in Panama. She was THE K4 teacher and everything I heard about her filled me with fear and trembling because of her amazingness!!! I was going to get those students from and those parents and the expectations would be unattainable because she set the bar so high. She became my go to for so many things as I figured out how to be a kindergarten teacher. Ms. Jules offered so much insight, ideas, wisdom, background, and knowledge. I would have been completely lost without her.

Ms. Jules has one of those infectious laughs and beautiful smiles that you can't help but fall in love with as you talk and know her. We have laughed, cried, shouted, been filled with righteous indignation, fought some battles, walked through some valleys, and so much - together.

Some of my favorite memories of her are hearing her K4 voice talking to students in the hallway or to some of her Spanish students. I can't describe it, but it is the Ms. Jules-cutie-voice-to-her-students sound. Another is having elementary devotions and her sharing prayer requests or a song. (Remember those times, MJ???)

In 2009, we went to the Dominican Republic and there she was given a new name (it's a hobby of mine - OH NO!!!! I'm LIKE THE POST MAN FROM YESTERDAY!!!!!!!)
Ms. Jules became MJ. Her other name is Marilyn Sue because she would call down the hallways - ABBY LOOOOO! And I would reply MARILYN SUE! (Neither is our real name, but we taught side by side early education - we LOVE rhyming words).


I loved the opportunity we had to travel to Ecuador together for a conference.
And go visit the equator (both of them) and just be together.


 Marilyn has a sweet heart for the Lord and listens to the Holy Spirit. She was always a person that I could go and chat with whenever something came up.

Last year at the despedida when I was leaving CCA, Marilyn gave my farewell talk. She jokingly brought up the fact that the plan had been that we would always leave together and now I was leaving and she was staying (even though I would be in the same building, just not working at the school).

This past year, we still saw each other in the hall, chatted, shouted out our rhyming names at one another, and MJ kept sharing with me ways to pray.

At the end of this school year, it happened. We were both leaving together. Amazing. I never would have thought that would have happened. In different ways, the Lord had both of us learning the same lesson - will you trust me to take you where you don't know and just be obedient?

So I headed to the states and so did she. A few weeks ago, I received a note from dear MJ. She shared that God had provided a new job for her in Florida. Yes, obedience is so sweet.

I'm so thankful for Ms. Jules/MJ/Marilyn Sue. Thankful for those times we shared - the ones that broke our hearts and the ones in which we rejoiced.

You are a dear sister. Can't wait to see when the Lord allows us to meet up again!




No comments:

Post a Comment