Monday, January 6, 2014

Memory Loss

Do you ever run into someone and for the life of you their name and how you know them escapes you?

This situation happened last week. I'm standing in line at a store and passed this person, brain registered "familiar face, no name, move forward".
Turn around and the same person says, "Abby? Hey, how are you? It's been a long time."

Commence brain scroll:
"Grad school - Nope. Panama - definitely not. High school - possible, but I don't think so. Met through a friend - I have no idea, maybe. College - likely. Can't place the name."

Next action: fake it.
It's true. That's what I did.

"Oh hi. Wow, it has been a long time." (Continue the frantic thoughts of trying to place this person).

Person begins sharing spousal information (this is obviously new information since our last interaction), kids (yep, still new info), current plans.

(This photo has nothing to do with the interaction, other than it makes me think this is what is happening in my head - random things being thrown out! Ha!)

Fog begins lifting - yep, definitely college.

The rest of the afternoon, long after said interaction, my brain begins to sort through the fragments.
Now I have a good idea of name, connection, and vague bits of information.

All that to say, my apologies if for some reason it's been 9 years since we've seen each other and I struggle to pull data of how we know one another. It doesn't mean I don't care, I honestly can't remember. It will come to me, just give me about four hours to pull it together.

What do you do when you can't remember?
Yes, I needed to just swallow my pride and admit the confusion.

Sigh. Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment