Thursday, December 4, 2014

What Do You Say?

I did it.

I finally picked up the pen, pulled out a notecard, and did what I've been putting off.


The pen touched the paper and the tears began.

It's a not a good-bye. Not when you are in Christ. But the letting go is still hard, but not as those who have no hope.

Her physical fight is nearly over. Medicine, treatments, remissions, and chemo have helped for ten years.

But no longer. They are hurting more than helping. There are no other options, medically speaking.

For over a year, I've wrestled with this letter. Written in my mind, scribbled out, rewritten, then put off. What do you say? What do you write that doesn't sound trite or like a farewell? How do you speak hope?

Mom's voice broke on the phone the other night, letting me know this sister's time is short. The days left are growing to a close. My heart ached. How does one say a "so long for now" to your sister? I thought of my own sister and the tears welled up. There. Are. No. Words.


I thought of my other sisters. My heart broke a little more. How? Could I?


So the pen touched down and eyes began leaking.
Words like brave, courage, life, cancer, laughter, joy, and love swept over the paper.
There isn't protocol for something like this. There isn't a method or form like a friendly letter like you learn in elementary school. It's simple your heart attempting language.

This was the passage the Lord led me to finish with -
"Therefore, my dear brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always excelling in the Lord's work, knowing that your labor in the Lord is not in vain." 1 Corinthians 15:58.

Not random. And when I looked at the context - even more fitting. Check it out.

This isn't a goodbye. Or a farewell address, but a heart grappling with the reality of life interrupted.

But heaven is coming. And in moments like these and as time continues to pass, becomes more sweet.


Can I encourage you? Don't let moments pass to share words of hope, joy, life, encouragement, memories, treasure, and more. Most often, we have no inkling of when our days reach the end. Pick up your own note and begin writing. It may take time for the words to pour forth, but it matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment